Friday, December 11, 2015

"Well, here's the stuff dreams were made of, several hundred years ago. Yup, it's always fun looking back at tomorrow. Come on, I'll show you what I mean."

If you recognize that line, you've come to the right place! If not, that's okay, too. I'm just happy you're here! That line is one of the very first pieces of narration spoken in EPCOT Center's attraction Horizons, and it seems awfully fitting. Horizons was a gateway to the past, the present, and the future, (also known at the time as the 21st century). Now that the 21st century is the present, and Horizons exists only in the past, I wanted a place where we could all collectively reminisce about it, so the memory of Horizons could live on forever.

Since the idea of a gift shop at the end of an attraction went against everything EPCOT Center stood for at the time of its conception, not a lot still exists from Horizons that is easily accessible. Every once in a while, Disney will release the occasional pin or t-shirt to commemorate the attraction, and as much as I hate the fact that it's so difficult to come by these days, I love that it wasn't the kind of attraction that just cranked out mindless chotchkes.

This blog will serve as an interactive digital archive, that will capture your memories, your thoughts, your pictures, and your stories. My personal collection of Horizons artifacts, pictures, and memories is very limited, so I'm counting on all of you to help me grow and expand this archive, as a love letter to one of the most cherished Disney attractions of all time.


No comments:

Post a Comment